Maui, Hawaii is known for its stunning natural beauty and rich cultural heritage. But one of the best things about this island paradise is its incredible food and drink scene! Here are some of our favorite local flavors to try in Maui:
1. Poke – This dish made from raw fish or seafood marinated in soy sauce and sesame oil has become a popular snack across Hawaii. You can find it at many restaurants and shops around Maui.
2. Lomi-Lomi Salmon – A traditional Hawaiian salad made with diced tomatoes, onions, and salted salmon. Itâ€™s usually served as an appetizer or side dish.
3. Kalua Pig – Cooked in an underground oven (imu) for several hours, kalua pig is tender and juicy, perfect for making sandwiches or serving with rice.
4. Shave Ice – Also called “shaved ice” or “snow cone,” this sweet treat consists of finely shaved ice topped with syrup and other flavorings like condensed milk or fruit puree.
Now letâ€™s move onto some must-visit restaurants and bars for delicious cuisine in Maui:
1. Mamaâ€™s Fish House – Located in Paia town, this restaurant offers fresh seafood caught locally by their owners. Try their famous crab cakes or grilled opakapaka fish.
2. Monkeypod Kitchen – With two locations in Wailea and Ko Olina resorts, Monkeypod serves modern American fare using locally sourced ingredients. Donâ€™t miss out on their signature dishes like the roasted garlic mashed potatoes or seared ahi tuna.
3. The Bazaar by JosÃ© AndrÃ©s – Part of the SLS Hotel in Kaanapali, this upscale restaurant features avant-garde Spanish cuisine prepared by celebrity chef JosÃ© AndrÃ©s himself. Highlights include the jamÃ³n ibÃ©rico de bellota and the paella negra.
Finally, here are some unique drinks you can only find on the island of Maui:
1. Mai Tai – Created at the legendary Trader Vicâ€™s restaurant in Oakland, California, but now synonymous with Maui thanks to the iconic Royal Lahaina Resort in Kaanapali.
2. PiÃ±a Colada – Another classic cocktail that originated in Puerto Rico but also widely associated with Maui due to its tropical vibes.
3. Aloha Maid – A non-alcoholic beverage made from passionfruit, guava, and orange juices blended together and served over ice. Perfect for kids or those who want to enjoy a refreshing drink without alcohol.