Maui is a foodie’s paradise, with its diverse culinary scene offering something for everyone. Whether you are looking for traditional Hawaiian cuisine or modern fusion dishes, there are plenty of options available throughout the island. Here are some popular restaurants and eateries that offer delicious meals:
1. Mama’s Fish House – This restaurant has been serving fresh seafood since 1973. It offers an extensive menu featuring local fish like opakapaka and ono as well as other classic dishes such as steaks and chops. The coconut cream pie is also highly recommended.
2. Monkeypod Kitchen by Merriman – Chef Peter Merriman showcases his love for locally sourced ingredients at this upscale eatery. Enjoy dishes like poke bowls made with fresh ahi tuna and grilled lamb chops with roasted garlic sauce. Don’t forget to try their famous macadamia nut tart!
3. Honu Seafood & Pizza – If you’re craving pizza, head over to this family-owned restaurant located near Wailea Beach. They serve up delicious wood-fired pizzas along with fresh seafood dishes like crab legs and shrimp scampi. Their signature Hula Pie features homemade ham and pineapple.
4. CafÃ© O’Lei – For breakfast, check out this charming cafe located in Paia Town. They offer a variety of hearty breakfast plates including loco moco (rice, eggs, hamburger patty, and gravy) and Portuguese sausage hash. Be sure to grab one of their famous malasadas, which are sweet donuts filled with custard or haupia (coconut).
5. Fleetwood’s On Front Street – Located in Lahaina, this restaurant serves up authentic Hawaiian cuisine in a historic setting. Try their famous poi balls, made from mashed taro root mixed with cooked ground beef or Spam. Other must-try items include laulau (steamed pork wrapped in ti leaves), kalua pig, and pipikaula (Hawaiian-style flank steak).
When it comes to dinner, Maui offers many options ranging from casual beachside bars to fine dining establishments. Some top picks include:
6. Seasons – This award-winning restaurant is known for its contemporary Pacific Rim cuisine. Savor dishes like seared ahi tuna with wasabi gelÃ©e and lobster bisque soup. Don’t miss out on their wine list, which boasts over 800 labels from around the world.
7. Ko – This upscale Japanese restaurant features exquisite sushi rolls, tempura, and robata-grilled dishes. Order the omakase experience, where the chef will prepare a customized tasting menu based on your preferences.
8. Flatbread Company – With locations across the island, this casual chain offers gourmet flatbread pizzas made with fresh ingredients. Choose from classics like margherita or create your own using unique toppings like kimchi or spicy shrimp.
For those who want to explore new flavors, Maui has several modern restaurants that feature innovative dishes inspired by global cuisines. Check out these hotspots:
9. Barrio – This Latin American-inspired restaurant offers shareable small plates like empanadas and ceviche alongside larger entrees like braised short ribs and Peruvian-style rotisserie chicken. Wash down your meal with a refreshing margarita or mojito.
10. Honolulu Cookie Co. – While not technically a restaurant, this bakery is worth a visit for its delicious cookies and ice creams. Try their signature “mochi” ice cream, which is similar to a soft serve but smoother and denser. Or indulge in a warm cookie straight from the oven.
Finally, when exploring Maui’s culinary scene, be sure to sample some of the local ingredients and cooking techniques used in traditional Hawaiian cuisine. Some common ingredients include taro, papaya, and tropical fruits like mango and pineapple. Popular cooking methods include imu (roasting meat in an underground oven) and luau leaf (cooking food in banana leaves). By trying these unique flavors, visitors can truly immerse themselves in the culture of Maui.