Maui is a foodie’s paradise, with its diverse cuisine ranging from traditional Hawaiian dishes to modern fusion flavors. Here are some of the best restaurants and eateries you should try when visiting this beautiful island.
Popular Restaurants in Maui
1. Mama’s Fish House – This restaurant offers fresh seafood caught daily by local fishermen. Their menu features classic dishes like Lobster Mac n Cheese and Garlic Shrimp Scampi.
2. Monkeypod Kitchen – With locations in Wailea and Ko Olina, this restaurant serves up delicious farm-to-table fare such as their famous Kalua Pork Tacos and Grilled Hanger Steak.
3. Honu Seafood & Pizza – If you’re looking for something more casual, head over to Honu Seafood & Pizza where you can get wood-fired pizzas or fresh poke bowls. They also have an extensive wine list that pairs perfectly with your meal.
Traditional Food to Eat in Maui
Hawaiians take great pride in their culinary traditions, so make sure to sample some authentic Hawaiian dishes while on the island. Some popular options include:
1. Poke – A raw fish salad made with marinated chunks of tuna, octopus, or other seafood. It’s typically served with rice and vegetables.
2. Lau lau – A traditional Hawaiian dish consisting of meat (usually pork) wrapped in taro leaves and cooked in an underground oven called an imu.
3. Kalua pig – Roasted pork cooked in an imu until it falls apart tender. It’s often served at luaus and family gatherings.
Breakfast Options in Maui
If you’re looking for breakfast options, here are some places worth trying:
1. Cafe O’Lei – Located near Kaanapali Beach, they serve up delicious breakfast plates featuring locally sourced ingredients. Try their famous coconut French Toast!
2. Paia Inn – This charming bed and breakfast has amazing views of the ocean and serves up hearty breakfasts including eggs benedict and french toast.
Dinner Options in Maui
For dinner, there are plenty of options depending on what type of cuisine you prefer. Here are some recommendations:
1. Morimoto Maui – For those who love Japanese cuisine, this award-winning restaurant run by celebrity chef Masaharu Morimoto is not to be missed. Sample his signature dishes like the Wagyu Beef Ribeye or the Spicy Tuna Roll.
2. The Millhouse – Nestled in the mountains above Makena State Park, this rustic restaurant serves up delicious Pacific Rim cuisine using locally sourced ingredients. Don’t miss out on their famous Truffle Mac ‘n Cheese!
Modern Cuisine: The Best New Flavors in Maui
Finally, if you want to try some of the latest trends in cuisine, check out these spots:
1. Barrio – This hip Mexican joint in Lahaina serves up inventive twists on classic dishes like their Guajillo Marinated Shortrib Taco or their Crispy Octopus Tostada.
2. Leoda’s Kitchen & Pie Shop – This quaint cafe located in Paia serves up comfort food classics like macaroni and cheese and shepherd’s pie along with homemade pies like key lime and blueberry.