Looking for the best restaurants to try when visiting Maui? Look no further! Here are some of our top picks, along with must-try dishes that will have your taste buds tingling.
Popular Restaurants in Maui
1. Mama’s Fish House – This iconic restaurant is known for its fresh seafood dishes like their famous Hawaiian snapper. Don’t miss out on trying their signature coconut cream pie either!
2. The Pineapple Grill – With stunning ocean views, this restaurant offers a unique fine dining experience featuring locally sourced ingredients. Try their roasted pig or lamb chops.
3. Monkeypod Kitchen by MW Restaurant Group – Enjoy delicious farm-to-table cuisine at this popular spot located in Wailea. Their grilled hangar steak and spicy shrimp pasta are both crowd pleasers.
4. Honu Seafood & Pizza – For those looking for something more casual, head over to this Kihei favorite. They offer an extensive menu including wood-fired pizzas, poke bowls, and fresh fish sandwiches.
5. Bailey’s Restaurant – Located in Lahaina, this historic eatery has been serving up classic American fare since 1927. Be sure to order their famous garlic bread and clam chowder.
Must-Try Dishes in Maui: A Foodie’s Guide
There are so many amazing dishes to try while you’re in Maui. Here are just a few of our favorites:
1. Poke Bowl – Made from raw fish, this dish is a traditional Hawaiian staple that has become increasingly popular around the world. You can find it served everywhere from food trucks to high-end restaurants.
2. Luau Plate – If you’re attending a luau while in Maui, be sure to sample their signature plate which typically includes kalua pork, laulau (steamed pork wrapped in ti leaves), lomi salmon (salad made with diced salted salmon), and poi (mashed kalo).
3. Spam Musubi – This local favorite consists of a slice of SPAMÂ® placed on top of rice and wrapped in nori seaweed. It’s perfect as a quick snack on-the-go.
Traditional Food to Eat in Maui
If you want to try some authentic Hawaiian cuisine during your trip, here are a few options to consider:
1. Kalua Pig – This slow-cooked pork dish is a staple at most Hawaiian gatherings and is often served alongside other traditional dishes like laulau and poi.
2. Poi – Made from mashed kalo (taro) root, poi is a staple in Hawaiian culture and is believed to provide spiritual nourishment.
3. Shave Ice – Also known as “shaved ice,” this sweet treat is a refreshing way to cool off on a hot day. It’s made by shaving ice into a snowlike consistency and adding flavored syrups on top.
Breakfast Options in Maui
For those who prefer to start their day with a hearty breakfast, there are plenty of options available in Maui. Here are a few of our recommendations:
1. The Mill House – This charming cafe serves up a variety of breakfast dishes including eggs benedict, omelets, and waffles. Plus, they have great coffee too!
2. Cafe O’Lei – Located right on the beach in Waikiki, this restaurant offers breathtaking ocean views and a delicious breakfast menu. Try their famous loco moco (rice, hamburger patty, egg, and gravy).
3. Pacific’O – This upscale resort features two award-winning restaurants where you can enjoy a gourmet breakfast. We highly recommend trying their lobster Benedict or crab cake eggs.
Dinner Options in Maui
When it comes to dinner time, Maui doesn’t disappoint. Here are a few of our recommended spots:
1. Morimoto Maui – Chef Masaharu Morimoto’s namesake restaurant offers contemporary Japanese cuisine with a focus on fresh, seasonal ingredients. Be sure to try their signature dish, the Wagyu beef ribeye.
2. Seabury Hall Cafeteria – Yes, we know it sounds strange but trust us, this place is worth checking out. Located on the campus of Seabury Hall School, this cafeteria serves up some of the best local food on the island. Must-try items include their fried rice, macaroni salad, and spaghetti.
3. Monkey Pod Kitchen – As mentioned earlier, this restaurant offers incredible farm-to-table cuisine using locally sourced ingredients. Be sure to try their grass-fed beef tenderloin or roasted duck breast.
Top Bars and Nightlife Spots for Foodies
If you’re looking to indulge in some late-night eats after a long night out, check out these top bars and nightlife spots:
1. Flatbread Company – This popular pizzeria is open until midnight and offers a wide selection of artisan flatbreads, salads, and shareable plates.
2. Aloha Mixed Plate – This funky joint is known for their eclectic mix of Asian fusion cuisine and tropical drinks. Try their famous Garlic Shrimp or Korean BBQ Short Ribs.
3. The Barrio – This Mexican cantina offers a festive atmosphere complete with live music and tequila flights. Sample their signature margaritas and guacamole while enjoying the vibrant energy of this lively bar.