Maui is a foodie’s paradise, with its diverse range of cuisines and flavors. Whether you are looking for traditional Hawaiian dishes or international fare, there is something to suit every taste bud in this beautiful island. Here are some popular restaurants, breakfast options, dinner choices, local delicacies, and more that will make your mouth water:
Popular Restaurants in Maui
1. Mama’s Fish House – This restaurant offers fresh seafood dishes like grilled opakapaka, crab cakes, and lobster macaroni and cheese. It has been rated as one of the best seafood restaurants in America by several magazines.
2. Monkeypod Kitchen – This restaurant serves contemporary American cuisine made from locally sourced ingredients. Some must-try items include their famous garlic shrimp, roasted chicken, and sticky toffee pudding.
3. Pacific’O – This restaurant offers a fusion of French and Polynesian cuisine. Their signature dish is the Wagyu beef tartare served with crisp crostini and truffle oil.
4. Seaside Bakery & Cafe – This bakery and cafe is known for their delicious pastries, sandwiches, salads, and soups. Try their famous avocado toast or banana bread.
Traditional Food to Eat in Maui
1. Poke – Poke is a raw fish salad that is a staple in Hawaiian cuisine. You can get it at many restaurants on the island, but it is also easy to make at home. Traditionally, poke was made using aku (tuna), but nowadays other types of fish like octopus and salmon are used too.
2. Lomi-Lomi Salmon – This dish is another classic in Hawaiian cuisine. It consists of cubed salmon marinated in salt, tomato, and lime juice before being mixed with diced vegetables such as green onions, ginger, and chili peppers.
Breakfast Options in Maui
1. Malasada – These Portuguese donuts are a sweet treat that are perfect for breakfast. They come filled with custard, cream cheese, or chocolate haupia (coconut) sauce.
2. Loco Moco – This dish is a hearty breakfast option consisting of white rice topped with hamburger patty, fried egg, and brown gravy.
Dinner Options in Maui
1. Luaus – A luau is an authentic Hawaiian feast featuring traditional dances and entertainment. At these events, you can expect to try dishes like kalua pig, laulau (steamed taro leaves stuffed with meat), poi (mashed cooked taro), and haupia (coconut milk pie).
2. Sushi – Maui has plenty of excellent sushi restaurants where you can enjoy fresh nigiri and maki rolls made with high-quality fish. Popular spots include Sansei Seafood Restaurant & Sushi Bar and Yum Yum Sushi Bistro.
Local Delicacies of Maui
1. Shave ice – Also called “shaved ice,” this dessert is a refreshing treat made from crushed ice drizzled with syrup. There are many places on the island where you can indulge in this sweet snack, including Aloha Maid Shave Ice and Island Snow.
2. Spam musubi – This Japanese-Hawaiian fusion dish consists of a slice of SPAM placed over rice and wrapped in nori seaweed. It is then secured with a strip of dried seaweed.